Thursday, October 7, 2010

Guinness Stew

Well, it was cold and rainy, just as the weatherman promised so I decided to make a nice pot of hot Guinness Beef Stew.

I'm a firm believer of "mise en place", prepping everything and having it ready before you start, so that's what I did. Prepped the sirloin tips, onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms and then got started.




Then we just get out the dutch oven and start browning the meat, seasoned with salt and pepper. Had to brown it in batches so as not to crowd the pot.
After the meat was browned, I started to saute the vegetables until the onions were nice and translucent.


Then I deglazed the pot with the Guinness Draught and added the thyme and brown sugar.



Then put the browned beef back into the pot and cover with beef broth.

Bring the whole thing down to a simmer and cook until you think it's done. I simmered it for about 2 hours, then thickened and served. Made a slurry of flour and Guinness, shook it up good and poured it in to thicken the stew.
Thickened it up for a bit, then served it with piping hot pull-apart garlic bread.
It was darned good if I do say so myself.

If you want the detailed recipe, use the link on the right to the Foods of The world Forum

1 comment:

  1. Dave, what can I say other than this is another one of your exceptional recipes I have not gotten around to making! Don't forget my goal is to make everyone of the recipes in your cookbook.

    This Guinness stew not only looks fantabulous but is a perfect dish for this time of year. I'm just going to have to go spelunking into the deepfreezer in the basement and pull out a haunch o' beef for this :)

    ReplyDelete